The goal of this guide is to explain how to solder electronic components, and also provide some guidance on choosing tools and materials
- Select a Soldering Iron
- What kind of solder (rosin cored, etc. lead-free)? What is flux and when is it necessary?
- Prepare the work – How and why to clean components, wire stripping and tinning guide
- Tin the tip – Tips for prolonging tip life, making soldering easier
- Heat and Solder the Joint – including closeup pics of the proper way to hold the iron against the work. Also, numerous good and bad joint pics.
- Cleanup – Do you really need to clean off flux residues?
- Protection – What is a conformal coating? Some applications encase electronics in solid epoxy…
- Desoldering – Illustrations showing how to use solder wick, a solder sucker, and an iron with a vacuum bulb. Plus a special surface mount removal tool and other tips for removing smt chips.
- References – There are hundreds of other great how-to guides and resources out there, here is a review and listing of some of those.
Other references and guides: