Scott Driscoll will be running a Surface Mount Soldering 101 workshop at the upcoming Atlanta Mini Maker Faire on October 6th.
We'll cover some basic techniques for soldering surface mount chips with REGULAR IRONS!
Things you'll learn
- Flux makes SMT easy
- Flood and wick method
- How to fix bridges
- All using regular shaped irons--no special micro tips required!
- You'll be practicing on a small pcb with 1 SOIC and 4 1206 caps (the biggest and easiest SMT parts)
- Solder paste, inexpensive stencils and toaster ovens
- Drag soldering for fine pitch and lots of pins
- Removing SMT chips with hot air and ChipQuik
Also at the Maker Faire: Freeside (Atlanta's hackerspace) will also be doing a (free!) workshop to make a full fledged robot, and part of it will involve learning through-hole soldering.